Rate Thread
Threaded Mode | Linear Mode
Abba Vater / Our Father
08-07-2008, 12:58 PM
RE: Abba Vater / Our Father
Petula07 Wrote:For me this song sounds more as prayer than as song...
But I have to admit that his voice is now very beautiful and strong.
It seemes that he is calm and stronger now (as his voice) - this is good new.

Yes it is a prayer - look at my posting above. It's the priestly prayer of Jesus, just before he had been arrested and crucified. This prayer has a great meaning (a big value) for all christians, because Jesus prays the Father for his disciples.
Cf. Gospel of st. John, chapter 17.
Find all posts by this user
Add Thank You Quote this message in a reply
08-08-2008, 12:58 AM
@ Anastazija
@ calvin
Thank you for your answer!
And for more about this song. I don´t know so many about christianity. I am not believer but I respect it and agree that christianity has many good ideas. yes

♫ ♫ ♫ Cover the road... ♫ ♫ ♫

08-08-2008, 07:44 AM
Just back to the name of the song - I think "Abba" means "father" in Hebrew, so "Abba father" actually means "father father" Smile
08-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Abba is a Hebrew word and it is one of the words to say God, just like the words Yahweh, El, Elohim, Sabaôth, Eliôn, Asher yeheyeh, Adonai, Jah, JHVH, and Shaddai

Is there love that never dies, is there peace in troubled times, someone help me understand is there hope for every man?

[Image: unknownyoubanner.gif]
08-08-2008, 11:54 AM
Yes, but it means father Smile This is how children address to their daddy in Hebrew. But I agree, it's also one of the words to address God Pray
08-08-2008, 12:04 PM
Thats interesting, I didn't know that children address to their daddy in Hebrew Smile
but I think we are getting off topic, sorry Corry!

Is there love that never dies, is there peace in troubled times, someone help me understand is there hope for every man?

08-08-2008, 12:13 PM
Anastazija Wrote:Abba is a Hebrew word and it is one of the words to say God, just like the words Yahweh, El, Elohim, Sabaôth, Eliôn, Asher yeheyeh, Adonai, Jah, JHVH, and Shaddai

Not really. As Madli said, it means father, but in a very cosy way - like Daddy. And it was absolutely not common for the Hebrews to call God like this. It is a little revolution, that Jesus called his father "Daddy". An Hebrew would never ever dare, because he had a big sense of the transcendentally God, a God full of majesty and glory (Sabaoth = the Lord of the hosts, crowds). Therefore the Hebrews used the names, which you wrote (except of JHVH, what they never pronounced, because it is sacred. They used Adonai = the Lord). Daddy is too familiar for an Hebrew from the Old Testament.

Well and now I stop this theological excursus. Smile
08-08-2008, 12:23 PM
Wow, Calvin, you know sooooo much about all that! it's really interesting! ok
08-08-2008, 12:24 PM
Thanks for explaining it, 'cause in Croatia, at religious education our teachers always tought us that Abba is for God...anyway tnx

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
Question Abba Father/Chords Silver Brumby 0 822 08-25-2011 11:33 AM
Last Post: Silver Brumby